Monday, February 18, 2013

How to enjoy High School


How to enjoy high school


 Welcome to high school. Welcome to one of the most important chapters in our lives.

People tell us that high school is the greatest thing that ever happened to them. 
New friends, first BF/GF, newly-found independence and that feeling of starting anew, a new life, a new beginning.

And some tell us that it is the most miserable part of their lives.  No friends, left out, bullied and a feeling of pure desperation to graduate and forget about high school as soon as possible.

I am about to graduate high school and it has  been one heck of a ride. And there were five things I l earned to a very happy and memorable high school life.




BE YOURSELF

People are unique. We all have something that is all our won. Whether we are singers, dancers, nerds, jocks or even cheerleaders, we are who we are.
embrace yourself. accept who you are.

We must not be PRETENTIOUS, and it would do no good if we pretend to be someone we are not. Actually, it will be doing more harm than good. 

Wouldn’t it be bad if people knew that we were lying, lying about our so-called relationships, lying about how we diet, lying about all the chics we banged. Lying about how rich our parents are. Lies, lies, lies.
In the end people would be avoiding us. That’s  a bad thing right?



BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE, don’t BE AFRAID

We must all be content with who we are. If you’re a nerd? Then be the best one, join contests, win for the school. If you’re a bookworm? Be the best one. Write for the campus paper, write a blog and show people your abilities.

To be honest, I am a nerd. I was bullied when I was a Freshie and Sophie, I was shunned away because I was articulate in English. But that didn’t stop me. It never did. I strived hard. I worked hard.
me and my partner hosting the Juniors' and Seniors' Prom

Luckily, I won a lot of contests; I became a frequent Emcee of events.

Then I found myself being respected, I found myself appreciated. And guess what? I’m still a nerd. Who knew being a nerd could turn out to be a good thing.  And a bonus? I have girls all over me. =) Charm and intelligence. Looks aren’t all that matters you know. XD

People often bully others simply people for being who they are. Is it a bad thing to be black? Is it a bad thing to be smart? Is it bad to be ME?

People bully others because they are insecure, they are envious, and they see you as threats. They know you are better. They know this. They know that blacks are better than sports, they know that nerds will graduate and get jobs, they know this.

Stand up  for yourself, don’t be afraid to be who you are. People will accept you. People will like you. That I am sure.



FRIENDS


Undoubtedly, if we are not afraid to be who we are, then people will like us for that. And who are those people who accept us as whoa we are?

friends

me with my bestfriends
High school is more than just cramming for assignments, more than just sleeping in class, and definitely more than just getting detention.

High school is doing all of those things not by yourself but with FRIENDS. 

Through good moments and through bad ones too!

Friends make high school life more enjoyable. They make each boring moment more exciting. They make us look forward going to school as we wake up each morning.



ROMANCE

If we have friends, then we have girlfriends, and boyfriends. If we don’t, we have crushes

me holding hands with someone
With a lot of teens and their regain hormones, you cant help but stare at the many handsome and beautiful faces in school. We even paste pictures of them inside our lockers to get a little inspiration for the day ahead each morning. ;-)


Personally, my girlfriend is my inspiration. She is beautiful and smart too. I learn a lot from her. Our relationship is not based on making up in the backseat of a car, nor is it based on escapades on the beaches. Our relationship is based on helping each other get through high school. Sure we get intimate sometimes, we hold hands, but we don’t lose sight of what really is important.
something someone made for me 

Romance can also ruin high school. And it more often than not does.  We have heard so much about teen pregnancies, so many bright and hopeful futures crushed, ending in a teen marriage.

High school romances can break or make your life. That said, we need to be responsible not to get carried away. Use romance as an inspiration, not a path to your own destruction.




ENJOY HIGH SCHOOL, ENJOY LEARNING, JOIN YOUTH ORGs


Teens nowadays are lazy. Me too! =) Academics can be so boring. Admit it, its true. World History, wouldn’t you rather sleep than to know what happened to the Neanderthals? And don’t get me started about trigonometry. Sine blah blah blah of cosine bah bah, arc tangent to angle blah blah.

I know its hard. But rather than cursing you taking trigo, or history. Why not find a reason to enjoy them. Maybe you can find interest in your subject teacher or maybe go for a study date with your classmates for a test. You are not just learning but also you are enjoying, and socializing.

I am a Zero Waste Youth Advocate.
A member of the Mother Earth Foundation
And high school isn’t always about a 7am-3pm job. Organizations are places we can socialize and learn. Enviromental organizations foucs on clean-up drives, green projects, and youth advocacies. Clubs like book blub, debate club and science club all have a special interest. We learn, we grown and we do something wholesome.

School organizations are great places to do something wholesome and worthwhile, They are also places we can meet new people.

Sometimes the school has an annual field trip. Things like these are great times to bond with close classmates and make new memories, memories that will be synonymous with high school.



SUMMMING IT UP


To enjoy high school:
1.       Be yourself- accept yourself and embrace it.
2.       Be the best you can be- no matter who we are, we must be content. Maximize your talents and people will appreciate you for it.
3.       Friends- these bunch of guys will make each boring day of high school a laugh trip. Through good and bad, thick and thin, they will be there.
4.       Romance- they are our inspiration. Use them wisely.
5.       Enjoy learning- join youth orgs to meet new people and do something wholesome.


Please do follow me on twitter  @adrianastorga26
And like my facebook page : Adrian James Astorga

please add me to your google circles, +1 and like, and share. feel free to comment! 

No comments:

.post-body { -webkit-touch-callout: none; -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none; }