Saturday, October 27, 2012

I am who I am because They Made ME WHO I AM!


I  Am Who I Am, Because They Made Me Who I Am:                                                                                                           An Ambitious Dreamer and a Go Getter


That Look in Her Eyes

 
I still remember four years ago in May when I graduated from elementary. My mom was sitting up front and I was on stage. My mom was the most joyous among the parents of the top ten, even if I graduated as seventh honorable.

For mom, it didn’t matter if I lost in a contest, if I fell short, or anything! As long as I tried she was proud. In my entire life I have not won first place, I was always second, but that didn’t matter with mom. That same face when I graduated was all I saw after every contest that I entered. That face that is so happy and proud.


Encouraging a Dreamer


I am so lucky to have people that help me with my studies, people who encourage me to try harder, aim higher and dream greater. My family is not rich, mom only works as a vendor at Divisoria. I have three other siblings who are still studying. And I know that my parents cannot afford to send me to college. My family is very lucky that grandmother allowed us to stay at her home. My cousins give me a lot of reference books that are very helpful whenever I research. When I look at it, I find a lot of people all contributing to my future. 

Someday I will repay my debts to the people who cared enough to help an ambitious dreamer.  I told my mom once that someday I’ll study in a big university. My mom would say that we didn’t have enough money to send me to such prestigious universities. But then I’ll tell her, “Why? Is to dream that I’ll be rich or maybe I’ll be famous bad?” My mom would just nod, although she didn’t say it, I know that she wanted me to at least try. I was fortunate enough to receive countless free application forms for the big universities.

When I saw my mom’s face so happy and proud, four years ago, I just knew that everything I have achieved could never have been possible without everyone’s help. The moment I started high school I became more determined and encouraged. A fire in me burned brighter. That moment when I saw my mom’s face changed me. I discovered who was I, who I am now and who I want to become.

Who I Am Now and Who I Want To Become


My classmates have dubbed me “the Lawyer” because of my ability to speak my mind. I always like politics and business. Whenever me and my classmates attend Journalism class I was the one discussing matters about the government. One of my cousins is a BS Business Admin gradand he urged me to take a course on commerce or philosophy. I took his advice and that is why I put BS Business Admin and Political Science at the top of the list whenever I apply. The world of commerce is so big. I want to explore that world. I also realized that the government plays a big role in a developing economy. That is why I’m considering taking a dual course in Masters in Business Admin- Juris Doctor (MBA-JD).

I like a heated discussion. I always participate in debates and extemporaneous speaking contests. Even if I lose it’s ok because I love what I do, and that enough for me. I love sharing my ideas and learning someone else’s. If I am lucky enough, I hope to become a professor someday.

I feel so empty if I don’t have a reason to study. Everything I have done, everything I am doing and everything I will do will not be for me but for every single person that made me who I am. To finish my studies and get a decent job to support my family is my goal.

` I want to prove to my parents, cousins and relatives that the help they gave me will not be in vain, that their investments to my future have produced many dividends. My future is up for me to decide but to reach it would need some helping hands. In my journey to a better life I would have to exert the greatest effort, after all it would be me and only me who would benefit from it.

Whenever I failed in an exam or got a low grade mom would just pat me in the back and say that there is always a next time. I am not that good in math. It has always been my waterloo. But my mom always stresses that the reason we have weaknesses is because we are not perfect, it is our duty to improve those weaknesses. We have strengths because it is our gift from GOD, therefore, it is our responsibility to help people who are weak in the areas we excel in. Even if I’m weak in math I still have some other thighs I’m good at like writing and speaking. I am trying hard to improve myself it might be slow but I know I’ll get there.

Molding Me Even More


I want a challenge. And studying in a prestigious college despite  my financial incapability 
is a challenge. Studying in these colleges will mold me even more to be a greater man. Yet finshing my course or my studies is a moment in life all by itself.  I want that same face I saw four years ago to reappear once more when I graduate from college. I want my mom to sit again in front and say:

“That’s my boy!”


To See That Face One More Time


My mom’s face, that look in her eyes made a big part of me. That look in her eyes made me realize that my achievements are not mine alone. That every drop of sweat I make while studying is all because I want to prove myself. And ultimately, to see my mom once again make that smile that has inspired me. That is my goal and to go there I have to give it all I’ve got.
Who Is Adrian James Astorga?

So in the end I’ll answer the question, “Are there any significant experiences you have have had or accomplishments you have realized that have help to define you as a person?”  The person I am now is the accumulation of my experiences with other people whose beliefs, values and personality have piqued my interests. These persons have influenced me so much that I used them as an inspiration to write this essay. These people made me who I am now. I am the product of their intelligence.

But the problem is  I am not yet a finished creation because, quite frankly, the change a person experiences that defines him or her is NEVER OVER. I know that persevering more will help me build myself.

So who is Adrian James Astorga? He is a diligent student, a devout Christian, and a business oriented person. He is also hardworking, loving and determined. And most of all:

An Ambitious Dreamer



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This young man, Adrian James Astorga, is quite admirable!

In a Country where even teachers could hardly write a grammatically-correct English sentence due to the government's idiotic policy of forcing Tagalog-bases education that hinders real-world learning and global competitiveness, young Mr. Astorga here has English-mastery that ah haven't encountered in a Filipino student since 1990!

Young man, you have a promising future. But forget tagalog if you really are serious in your business and law aspirations. Always remember that the world's singular global-language of business and finance, science & technology, international law and economics is English - specifically, American English!

So, get more soakings in this global tongue everyday of your formative life. Forsake all other languages till your English lingo attains perfection!

Good luck, young man... And God bless.

Unknown said...

Wow, thank you so much for you comment. That means a lot to me. Wow I never thought that I would get a comment like this. wow i am totally blown away by your comment. I thank you so much. Although I respect your comment, I will never forget my country's native tounge- FIlIPINO.

I will never forget the country who has made me to be a young man, a youth that can help my country who is desperate of help.

Im so sad that I dont know your name. but who ever you are I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

.post-body { -webkit-touch-callout: none; -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none; }