Sunday, November 24, 2013

Who’s the real Devil?

photo taken from en.wikipedia.org
Cruel. Deceitful. Gruesome. The ultimate antagonist. The personification of evil. Evil. One word. Devil.


Good and evil


Humans have always viewed the universe in two ways: Good and Evil. Conflicting concepts ever locked in battle.

Every good story must not only have a happy ending but also a worthy antagonist. One that will simply make the hero’s life a living hell. Whose ultimate defeat- death- will serve right. The fall must be spectacular, 
bloody and merciless.

Yet the greatest of evil is a monster. An abomination of a thousand forms and names. Ever since there was good, it was there. The devil, the anti-thesis of humanity.

The devil has been blamed for all the evil there is. When Hitler killed millions of Jews, it was believed that he must’ve been the devil. When Judas kissed Jesus and sealed his fate, the Devil possessed him. When Brutus stabbed Caesar it must’ve been the Demon’s work.

Every human culture must’ve had a dark figure in their faith. A harbinger of chaos and despair. But isn’t it unfair that the demon is the causality of every atrocity there is. The devil was once the bringer of the dawn, it fell from grace when he disobeyed. It was casted to the deepest depths of the earth- hell.

It must feel bad being eternally damned and getting blamed for everything. In the end a deep question remains: is there a demon to begin with?


Real or Fantasy


It’s an irony that humans get all the credit for the marvels they make. Creations like the pyramids are testaments to our ingenuity.

But what about the tragedies of our history? Every single war, every life lost to the inquisition, the holocaust, 9/11? We stop, stay quiet. “It wasn’t us,” is what we can mutter.

Is the concept of a demon real or simply a figment of our minds? It’s human nature to point the finger at someone else when it should be at us. The truth is, the reason why we play the blame game for so long is that we can’t accept the probability that it might be our own fault.

The worst part is, it’s not just a probability but a truth we are at fault and it’s quite obvious. How we keep on passing the blame is surprising. Humans have been like this since we began. Since Eve blamed the serpent for eating the fruit of knowledge. 


Mirrors and Reflections


Over and over, devils and demons. Never ending, but where is it? The antagonist of humanity has been
around for millennia. We’ve even given it a name. Even more so a description.

I stare at a medieval painting of a demon. Two arms, legs. Chest. Walks upright. It has a likeness to it. The face is so familiar. It has ears on either side of its face. A mouth that’s blood red. It even has a bush of hair on top. Its face is contemplative. Different emotions could have channeled through its face. But I can get over its eyes. So deep and dark. It pierces myself.


I look away. All this about evil forces is getting on my nerves. I get up and go to the washroom. Water splashes on my face. I get the towel and dry myself. As I look up, I face a mirror. And on the other side of the mirror I see the greatest revelation of my life.


taken from http://popwatch.ew.com
Who’s the real devil?


I think I just found the answer.







Please do follow me on twitter  @adrianastorga26
And like my facebook page : Adrian James Astorga
Also please do subscribe to my blog, and add me on your google plus circles. 

No comments:

.post-body { -webkit-touch-callout: none; -khtml-user-select: none; -moz-user-select: -moz-none; -ms-user-select: none; user-select: none; }